Sunday, April 21, 2013

Maui, Jaws and eh.... Fanore

My Maui Best Amigo Sam and I..... thanks for the best Maui trip ever Sam, you're a hero! Couldn't have done this trip without ya! 

Alooooha! Well true to form I'm a tad if not massively behind on updating the old blog. Sorry! But good things come to those who wait so here goes......
Not going to write much this time I've decided, sheer laziness really! But I think everybody prefers to look at pictures anyways :-)
So after Cape Town I made a quick pitstop at home and then cruised off to Lima, Peru for the World Stand Up Paddle Board contest to represent Ireland in the surf division. Good craic! Then it was back to the mother land of Maui where I got to meet my new ohana at Hot Sails and shack up with my besties Sam and Griff for 6 weeks of sailing, surfing, SUPing and general banter. Happy days.
Ok picture time:

SAILING AT HO'OKIPA
Massive thank yous and Mahalos to Jimmie Hepp for taking all the pics! You are a hero Jimmie!!

I LOVE Hot Sails Maui!!! THANK YOU Jeff Henderson, Chris Freeman, Tom Hammerton and all the crew, you guys and your sails are AMAZING!!! 










Chillin with the girls and Bouji! 



Going Left during Kona winds Lanes session
Trying to avoid a hack over the head from Bouji at Lanes as I push to make it over the wave

Surfing like a kook at middles ;-)


Checking out the surf at Jaws with Bittner.... machetes and coconuts ;-)

Obnoxiously gross Hawaiian shirts and Moomoos! 

Housemates go local..... hahahahaha!

AWT opening party at Quatro.... with Diego, Casey, Fiona, me and Sam

SUP the point

SUP Pavillions at Koa Bowl Contest


Spot the seal?!? hahahahaha!

Best girls ever! Eva, Sam, me and Carolina; Love you girls!!

 
One of many ladies nights with the best crew of ripper water women on Maui!


My Fav 'lil lady in the world! Fiona Wylde...... you ROCK!! 

Tryin to catch one at Pavils

Easter Saturday Margs at Tavares



Paddy's Day banter with Muzz at Neilo and Sam's gaff

Neilo..... the King of Paddy's Day on Maui!


Reef owies :-(




Lanes SUP

Getting set up at Quatro for AWT opening party with Sam, Francisco Goya and I

Showing the love for our hero Mr. Jimmie Hepp! xxx

Too much fun! With the legend Sean Ordonez, Ingrid, Griff dogg and Sam







Happy bday Jimmie with your beautiful wife Donna and your admiring fans!





I'm with stupid. Gilly!!!


Longboards, bikinis, a dog and a pick up truck = Hawaii






Article in Irish Times about windsurfing Jaws. Pretty epic experience. Scary in some ways but mostly just amazing
Here's the links to the articles about it;
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/irish-woman-windsurfs-world-famous-wave-off-hawaii-1.1351870#.UWJk68yWKBc.gmail
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/from-clare-to-the-big-kahuna-and-back-1.1366127#.UXKB36Vb0Rs.gmail


And so from my adventures at Pe'ahi I cruised back home 3 days ago and was just in time for the first Irish windsurfing Association contest of the year. It took place at my local beach of Fanore Co.Clare. The conditions were not exactly perfect.... pretty small and light winds but fair play to Paul Reid and the judges who ran a great event! Was amazing to see so many new faces interspersed with some old faces. There was a gaping hole where Mikey's absence was painfully felt and the day was dedicated to his memory.
I had some fun heats and couldn't believe my result.... no women entered (as usual) so I competed in the men's Gold fleet and made it to the final!! So so excited!! Definitely a massive first and I was absolutely delighted! Andreas took the win, well done!! Oisin in 2nd, Rob in 3rd and I took 4th. Pretty chuffed with the result! 

Ok, back soon.... I promise!!